Saturday, January 31, 2015

Peas and Chickweed

What I'm Planting - Peas

I planted snow peas on 1/21/15.  It's really kind of late for my usual pea planting, but I realized that I had a good spot for them in my garden where they wouldn't be in the way of my spring garden plans.  They're starting to pop up.



After I planted that whole spot with an entire package of snow peas, I cleaned out my seed stash and found this little treasure.

I'm pretty sure it's a law of some sort that I have to plant these too.  They're purple, after all.  Guess I need to find another spot.

What I'm Eating - Chickeed

We're approaching the end of chickweed season, which makes me a little sad.  Chickweed is, by far, my favorite of all the "alternative" greens I've tried.  It's also pretty easy to come by without even bothering to plant it.  I can count on the stuff popping up all over the yard.  Unfortunately, I can't count on my dog not peeing on it, so I was super happy when it popped up in my lettuce bed this year.




If you have never tried eating chickweed, I would highly encourage you to give it a shot.  I find it to be easy to identify, delicious, and readily available.  It has a very mild, fresh, green flavor - fabulous in salads!  The tiny white flowers look pretty in a salad, as well.

I once served it when we had company over.  One of my friends inquired as to what it was so I explained that it was a very common and delicious edible weed.  She very politely took a bite and commented "Huh.  It really sort of tastes like eating your lawn, doesn't it?"  So maybe it's not for everyone, but I sure like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment